Josh Chandler Update

Sunday, June 11, 2006

A Few Steps Forward

**written by Cari Chandler (Josh's sister)

Hello to all. I hope that you all are having a wonderful Sunday. Things went much better for Josh today than yesterday - praise the Lord. I was getting tired of all the steps backward. It is very trying emotionally. I guess Josh just wants to make sure that we all know how big our God is by showing how much he will have to overcome with God's help.

Josh has had a pretty peaceful day. They did not adjust his ventilator settings today, which I am happy for because I think he just needed a day of rest. We had a little scare when they thought his neurological status has not been as good as it had been for the past week, so they took him straight to have a cat scan of his head. Everything turned out fine, or at least, the same as it has been. The neurosurgeon said that her assessment of him had not changed, so we were very relieved. I am, in a way, glad that they did the scan because we haven't had any tests done in awhile. It puts my mind at ease a little to know that he has had this done. And he didn't get too agitated when traveling off of the floor. I believe tomorrow we will talk with the trauma team about the tracheotomy and feeding tube, so I am preparing myself for that. I am assuming that it will be at the beginning of the week if they can wean down the ventilator settings a little. They also changed some of his antibiotics around today because some of the cultures they had gotten from his lungs were sensitive to a different antibiotic. His fever has not been as bad today as yesterday - only a low-grade fever.

Today Josh did do something he has not done yet, he opened his eyes just for a second (only twice today), and I missed it! Now mind you he did not do this on command, only to outside stimuli, but I will take anything I can get. I am very cautiously optimistic that it was a step in the right direction. Can you believe that he did this while he was being
suctioned? I knew he didn't like it, so I guess he was trying to tell his nurse something!!!Tomorrow the USA is playing in their first game of the World Cup, so Josh will be watching!! He was so looking forward to it, so we are taping all of the USA games for him to enjoy later down the road. Last night too, when I was saying good night to Josh, I leaned over to give him a kiss on the forehead and my hair tickled his face and (can you believe it?) he turned his head in the opposite direction!! Mom just laughed. I told him that I would not take any offense to it. Anyway, I pray that you all have a good night. Pray for my dad, he is traveling back home tonight to work for the week and then come back on Friday night. We love and miss you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home