Josh Chandler Update

Monday, June 12, 2006

How I came to know Josh (a WILDS experience!)

Josh lived to work at the WILDS, a Christian camp in Brevard, NC. His parents told me that's all he ever talked about. Since beginning college, Josh has been home about 2 weeks at a time for Christmas break, and before and after camp in the summer. He worked at the WILDS for 4 summers. He served as a counselor for 2 summers, a COR counselor (an experienced counselor who roves from team to team to meet team needs - a counseling honor), and as a Junior Boot Camp (Jr. Camp) lead counselor last summer. I had the privilege of going to the WILDS for 7 consecutive summers, 6 times a camper, 1 time a counselor. My last summer as a counselor, I went to CIT (camper-in-training... a two-week program intended to help develop servant leaders among Sr. High teens.) My CIT weeks, Josh was one of the CIT counselors. Even though he was not my counselor, because we were in all the same sessions, we became friends. The next summer when I went to check in as a counselor, he was the second familiar face I saw. Barely remembering his name, I hesitantly approached him, seeking to re-introduce myself. I was met with a "Brandon Godwin!!!" and a friendly, masculine embrace. He had not forgotten me at all! That summer we spent several weekends hanging out. I had the privilege of counseling on his team for two weeks. He placed me in a leadership role when he was not around. He pushed me to grow those two weeks. He also helped me physically when I got sick one afternoon. He gave me his bed and took my seven 4th-6th graders for the afternoon. (What a guy!!!) We remained in touch throughout my Sophomore year at BJU. He always encouraged me wherever I was at. He always smiled, a charateristic not common at most college campuses. He became one of my best friends. I look forward to the day when we can recount God's goodness together and laugh about old times. (And Josh, when you read this soon, remember you still owe me a DC Utd. game...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home