Josh Chandler Update

Friday, June 30, 2006

One Month Ago Tonight... (Friday Update)

(Cari)Hello to all. Congrats on making it through another week! I hope that you all have a wonderful fourth of July weekend.

Josh had a pretty good day. He really wasn't all that agitated today. He followed commands as usual - wiggle toes, squeeze hands, and thumbs up. I think everyday that Josh is more aware of what is going on around him, but he is getting very frustrated because he cannot communicate like he wants to. I can tell this by the look on his face. I can only imagine how it must feel to know some of what is going on around you and not be able to express what you are thinking or feeling. I know I would get incredibly frustrated. We just try to reassure him and do our best to be there for him always. The nurses are realizing that he is getting frustrated as well and are doing their best to help him however they can. I know that in time he will be able to communicate and then it should get alot easier for all.

Josh did get his feeding tube today. It didn't happen until around 4pm, but he was able to get it. They have to leave the tube in his nose in for another 24 hours because they wait that long after the feeding tube is placed. Hopefully by tomorrow evening he won't have any tubes on his face. Yeah! Then we can see the whole Josh. Josh has adjusted to the trach pretty well. They did not trial him off of the ventilator today because it was so late in the day to get the feeding tube in, but I am pretty sure they may try tomorrow. We will have to see how he does. I think it may be okay, he just doesn't always take deep enough breaths, so we'll see. He is oxygenating fine which is great; he just sometimes breathes fast especially after he coughs. I can tell that he is getting better though.

That's about it here in Chapel Hill today. Daddy will come up in the morning for an extended weekend since it is a holiday. I will keep you all posted. Thank you for your love and prayers. We love you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home