Josh Chandler Update

Saturday, July 15, 2006

First Words!!! (7/14/06)

Josh had a really good day today. He was pretty alert alot today. I can think of 3 different times that he was awake and alert and he didn't seem all that agitated. Each of those times he was awake for quite a while, an hour at the least. He was following all the same old commands with some new things as well. I was making faces at him and he copied me a couple of times. I scrunched up my nose like a rabbit and Josh did too as well. It was pretty funny - he did it several other times throughout the day. Another new thing Josh did today was play a little game with me by throwing (very weakly, but throwing!) a little stuffed animal that was given to us. He did it repeatedly. He also correctly showed me with his fingers how old he was (24). It was fun to see a few new things today.

We also tried putting the cap on Josh's trach today while he was awake and he did say a couple of things. I had to strain to hear him because it was soooo weak. Some of it I didn't understand, some of it was just noises, but some of it I did understand. He told me his last name; he told me what my dog's name was - "Dixie"; he asked, "Where's mom" (she went downstairs for dinner); I asked him if he was okay and he said, "I'm thirsty though", and something else I think but I don't remember what it was. He then began to get very frustrated because I couldn't fully understand him so we had to stop so that he wouldn't get too agitated. It was very exciting to see this progress. I know in time he will get it. To address the "I'm thirsty" question, I explained to him why he couldn't drink, but I did wet his mouth pretty good with some toothettes. I think it satisfied him for the time being.

Another thing I noticed today was that Josh is having a hard time with is depth perception. I know he can see because he correctly copies things that I show him, but when goes to grab for the stuffed animal or give me five he misses by a good bit. I don't know why it is like this but I told the doctors and they are going to get Opthalmology to check him out just in case. Maybe he is just so weak that he can't do it. I can tell he is going to have to gain alot of strength back. I guess I would too if I had been lying in a bed for 42 days and counting.

Charlotte is a still a possibility at this time. I am really pushing for it. I will know more next week.

All in all it was a real good day. I pray that you all have a really great weekend. Thanks for your continued prayers - I know I say this everyday, but I really do mean it. We love you all.

3 Comments:

  • Thank you so much for all your updates on Josh. It is wonderful to hear his progress.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:41 PM  

  • Hi, I'm an old friend of Josh's from PCC. Hey Josh, it's Somer Redman!! Remember me? I had the privelege of meeting Josh in Chambers. Wow, that guy could sing!! Anyway, I have been reading up on Josh's progress and I'm amazed by our Creator's grace and glory throughout this whole ordeal! Our God is so GOOD!!!
    Please know that I am praying for Josh and a quick and easy recovery, and also know that I am praying for you as the family as you fight the frustrations and cling to the truth and love of our LORD!!!
    ~Somer Redman

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:48 PM  

  • Hello...we just wanted to let you know that we are praying for Joshua every day. JohnMichael makes it a point to pray for him before we even mention it. The blogs are great for keeping us informed and please let us know if we can help in any way. The Auns

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home