Josh Chandler Update

Monday, July 10, 2006

Sunday Update: 7/9/06

Hey there to all. Well, dad and I made it back safely from Chapel and I will be returning on Wednesday and dad will return either on Friday night or Saturday morning - please keep us in your prayers as we travel back and forth.

Josh had a pretty good day today. He was alert quite a bit today and his agitation did not seem to be as intense as it was. He was able to follow commands and I think he was trying to say something, but I couldn't make out what it was. Josh was also following people around the room with his eyes and if you said something to him he would turn and look in your direction. All in all he had a pretty good day. I guess that means he will sleep all day tomorrow!! haha!

I spoke with the doctors today and they are planning to change the size of his trach tomorrow to a 6.0 (smaller in diameter) instead of the 8.0 that he currently has. This can be a very good thing because then they could possibly put the valve (like a cover) over the trach and we may be able to see if Josh would be able to say a word or two in the near future. This is only a POSSIBILITY - it doesn't mean that he will talk. We will have to see how he does. I know for sure they won't try this until his breathing becomes much easier, but it is something to look forward to!

They also mentioned about the possibility of being transferred sometime in the near future (hopefully end of this week, beginning of next - that is what I am shooting for). We will know more tomorrow once we talk with the doctors, social worker, etc. It is all dependent on who will accept Josh as a patient and who has a bed available for him. These are all things to keep on your prayer list for Josh. I would personally like him to be transferred to Columbia, but I want to go to the place that will best suit Josh's needs so he has the best chance for a full recovery. They say that once patients are in the different therapies (physical, occupational, and speech) that this is where you will really see the progress. I can't wait for that!!

Please also pray for my mom to have strength for the days ahead. She will be with Josh 24/7 now that he is in a regular room. Josh can't do anything for himself right now and is totally dependent on those around him. She is going to have to help care for his basic needs since a nurse is not going to be just right outside the door like in ICU doing ALL of his care (the nurses help out as best they can and they have been awesome, but when they are looking after 6 or 7 sick people their time is limited to the nursing stuff). Taking care of Josh can be a lot right now, emotionally and physically, so please keep her in your prayers.

I will let you all know of any plans for the future. Thank you for your continued love and prayers. We love you all.

1 Comments:

  • Dear Chandlers, I met Josh at PCC. We hit it off right away and became very close our senior year. I was sad to hear that Josh had been in an accident, but I am so glad to hear the progress he has made in the last few weeks. Please know that I will continue praying for him, and that there are many PCC students and faculty that are praying for him too.
    Also, if you can post his new address so that I can send him a letter, I would really appreciate it.
    Please tell Josh that I miss him, am praying for him, and hope that we can soon get back in touch.
    Love, Tracee Martin

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home