Josh Chandler Update

Sunday, July 16, 2006

More Improvements! (7/15/06)

Josh had a pretty good day today as well. He was alert for a good bit today. I would venture to say that he is alert about 60% of the time right now. Which is fabulous - I am encouraged everyday with his progress. At this point in time Josh could go to a rehab facility right now, we just have to find the right place to go. Josh is breathing so much better; he seems to be healing very well; and he doesn't need as much medicine as he did before - just a little every now and then.

Today Josh talked a little bit more when he had the valve over his trach. He answered all of our questions appropriately. Josh had a friend come to visit him and without hesitation he recognized him by clearly saying his name (Mark Lopez). Josh asked for me to move a pillow that was under his arm and I did and then I asked him if that was better and he said, "much better" very clearly. He still says some things that are so weak I can't understand him, but some things he says very clearly. He said, "I want to stand up" and "get me something to eat". I also showed Josh about 5 or 6 different pictures and he correctly identified everyone in the pictures - without hesitation! He also clearly spelled different peoples names by signing them. He spoke to my friend Wendy on the phone and said "Hi Wendy", to which she just about cried because she wasn't expecting that. I really feel that Josh is moving in the right direction. I know that he has many more obstacles to overcome, but he is getting there, slowly but surely.

He gets tired very easy, but to Josh's credit he is driven enough to push himself to get better. I think in time that he will push himself even more and he sees his own self progressing. Please pray for strength for Josh. He is moving his left arm around a little bit, but he has a long way to go on that. He keeps it so tightly in towards his body (especially the wrist) that I am afraid that he might develop a
contracture to that arm. I asked for a splint today and hopefully will have one on Monday. Otherwise we exercise it and all of his joints several times a day. I guess that is about it for today. I will keep you posted. Thank you for your continued love and prayers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home