Josh Chandler Update

Friday, June 16, 2006

An Eye Opener - Thursday (6/15/06)

I hope that you all had a wonderful Thursday, I know you must be glad that Friday is closing in and hopefully a good Father's Day weekend looms ahead.

Today Josh began the day as usual - sleeping!!!! Mom and I repeated yesterday to a tee -- we watched him breathe and sleep. They were able to turn the down the ventilator settings even more today and he seemed to tolerate that just fine. They are talking about taking out the chest tubes in the morning. I am sure that will make him feel a little more comfortable. I do not believe they are going to do the trach and feeding tube tomorrow. They said they are probably going to wait until Monday.

Now on to the big news. We thought Josh was not going to do much today, but around 9:15pm Josh began to stir, so we tried the thumbs up thing. I guess he is getting bored with this and he would not do this on command. His nurse Heather suctioned him out and he opened his eyes, which he has been doing, but this time he kept them open for awhile (about 5 minutes). He was not focusing, but it appeared as if for the first time he was aware of what was going on around him. Per Heather's request I asked Josh to hold up two fingers, and HE DID!!!!! Next I asked him to blink twice, and HE DID!!!!! He was moving around alot at this point in time to where he even moved his left leg off of the bed twice. Two seems to be the magic number! He again wrestled mom and I with his right arm - and, let me tell you, I thought one time he was going to break my fingers. Josh was moving around alot and appeared that he was a little anxious - we kept telling Josh that he was in an accident, is in the hospital, and that they are having to breathe for him right now, but he is okay. So, after about 30 minutes of agitation Heather had to give him medicines to calm him down. When we left for the night around 10:45pm, he was again resting comfortably. We are SO encouraged by all of this progress it even made his nurse cry because she was so happy for him. I pray that tomorrow goes just as well - God IS good.
Until tomorrow, we love each of you and covet your prayers!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home