Josh Chandler Update

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Unbelievable!!! (7/18/06)

***Posted by Brandon (site publisher)***

I was able to go and see Josh for the first time since he has been in his "normal" hospital room. My friend Mark went on Saturday, and Josh said his name as soon as he entered the room. I guess I was kinda hoping the same would happen to me. Each time I had been in the last two weeks, Josh would always be out of it, having responded a lot the day before. This time, I was hoping it would be different (for the better - that may be a little selfish). I called Cari to make sure that they would tell him that I was coming to see him tonight, so he had better stay awake so I could talk to him (I was partially kidding). She told me that I could actually talk to him, although she didn't know if I would respond. I told Josh I wanted to see him tonight, and that I was coming to Chapel Hill to visit. He said (somewhat weakly), "OK Brandon." I honestly did not know what to say. My heart raced. It had been about 2 months since I had been able to actually talk with him, not just to him. The LORD is GREAT!

This primed me for the visit tonight, and the visit was more than I could have wished for. (I mean regarding his overall health, but also me personally seeing him doing better.) He was conscious, looking around the room. When I began talking to him, he looked at me and steadied his glance. His hands and arms shaked the whole hour-and-a-half that I was there at his bedside. My dad, who came with me and my girlfriend, gave Josh a haircut, his first in about 2 months. He looks much much better, even though I know people liked his blonde curls... The long hair was causing him to sweat more than was necessary. He had told his mom and sister several times that he was hot.

Basically, I talked with him the whole time, asking him questions about things in the past he remembered. A few times, he looked at me intent on telling me something, but it was hard to make out what he was saying. He had been laboring all day. It really seemed like he had been out in the sun sweating all day. That's how tired he looked. The haircut also wore him out, even though it was good for him. He told us he liked the haircut.

His family is thrilled with his improvements. I know it had to have been difficult for the family not to be able to communicate. He has sweet parents and a sweet sister who all love him dearly and unconditionally. He has much to be thankful for, as do we all. Cari travelled back tonight to Columbia. Josh's dad travelled back a few days ago.

As I saw Josh tonight, I couldn't help but think of a psalm, Psalm 145:

I will extol thee, my God, O king; and I will bless thy name for ever and ever. Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever. Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable. One generation shall praise thy works to another, and shall declare thy mighty acts.

I will speak of the glorious honour of thy majesty, and of thy wondrous works. And men shall speak of the might of thy terrible acts: and I will declare thy greatness. They shall abundantly utter the memory of thy great goodness, and shall sing of thy righteousness.

The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy. The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works. All thy works shall praise thee, O LORD; and thy saints shall bless thee. They shall speak of the glory of thy kingdom, and talk of thy power; to make known to the sons of men his mighty acts, and the glorious majesty of his kingdom.

Thy kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and thy dominion endureth throughout all generations. The LORD upholdeth all that fall, and raiseth up all those that be bowed down. The eyes of all wait upon thee; and thou givest them their meat in due season. Thou openest thine hand, and satisfiest the desire of every living thing.
The LORD is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works.

The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth. He will fulfil the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them. The LORD preserveth all them that love him: but all the wicked will he destroy. My mouth shall speak of the LORD: and let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever. the praise

2 Comments:

  • Thank you for all your updates. We continue to pray for Josh and his family. This has been a blessing for us to be able to pray for their needs.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:21 PM  

  • Brandon,
    This is Matt Baker again. I am so thrilled @ Chandler's improvements. GOd is Great!!! I have been praying for him daily. I want to be one of the first to speak to him when he gets out. I hope to talk to him sometime. Please give me his number to his room so i can maybe say a few words to him. You can leave the number on my site at mattbakerminsitries.blogspot.com. I really hope to talk to him!!! God Bless!!

    By Blogger matt baker ministries, at 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home